Phoebe's PLJ" began as a project for my Freshman English class when we were reading Daniel Pink's "A Whole New Mind". The purpose of the PLJ or Personal Learning Journal was to blog our thoughts on a selection of Pinks exercises throughout his book. I just recently came across this, today in fact. I was looking up creativity blogs on the internet, looking for some inspiration to do, well, anything. As I was reading through them I realized that creativity blogs are no more than random thoughts and tidbits of a persons creative, spiritual, and emotional journey through time. I have decided to make this PLJ not only a personal learning journal, but also my very own Personal Learning JOURNEY, my version of a creativity blog. With that I shall let the journey begin. No, not begin, resume with the journal as my witness.

1/16/08

Change in Learning:History

I think one of the important factors in studying history is the ability to relate history to my own life and experiences. That is also the reason we study history; it is a way to keep bad things from re-occurring as well as to keep the good things in society. I discovered the importance of connections in my 7th grade European history class. Suddenly because of the ability to connect things to my own life, I became very interested, and remain so today. I found that 'I was able to retain information much better, and I still remember it to this day.
When I began high school this year, I was put into a US History: 9 Honors class. Immediately I knew this class would be different from previous US History classes. The first day the teacher introduced herself, and said that she was not only a teacher, but also had a major in psychology. She told us that history and psychology are connected in many ways, and that in the class she would be teaching history with a background from the psychology standpoint. I was scared of this new idea, but I was also excited. She was just the type of teacher that would be able to make connections from culture today to things in the past. I believe that this class has changed my thinking even more in other classes because I connect everything to something I relate to in my own life. This makes the information more retainable.

No comments:

Blog Archive