Phoebe's PLJ" began as a project for my Freshman English class when we were reading Daniel Pink's "A Whole New Mind". The purpose of the PLJ or Personal Learning Journal was to blog our thoughts on a selection of Pinks exercises throughout his book. I just recently came across this, today in fact. I was looking up creativity blogs on the internet, looking for some inspiration to do, well, anything. As I was reading through them I realized that creativity blogs are no more than random thoughts and tidbits of a persons creative, spiritual, and emotional journey through time. I have decided to make this PLJ not only a personal learning journal, but also my very own Personal Learning JOURNEY, my version of a creativity blog. With that I shall let the journey begin. No, not begin, resume with the journal as my witness.

2/29/08

Daniel Pink's Question

If you had to create a new school -- or reform your current school -- so that it better develops the six senses, what one or two things would you do?

1. To reform my current school I would first begin with incorporating story into subjects like math and science. People learn better when they can connect the thing they are learning to something in their lives. I feel that when students are in their math classes they are learning things that have no "why" to them. I think that in order for students to learn, then they need to know the "why", and if they don’t then they won’t really have the same motivation. The why is both part of story and empathy, and incorporates both of those into the reasoning.

2. I would also change the design of the room to make it more comfortable for the students. I would do this with the use of color, furniture design, and technology. Design cane influence the ways in which kids learn, and a comfortable environment provokes creativity.

No comments:

Blog Archive