Phoebe's PLJ" began as a project for my Freshman English class when we were reading Daniel Pink's "A Whole New Mind". The purpose of the PLJ or Personal Learning Journal was to blog our thoughts on a selection of Pinks exercises throughout his book. I just recently came across this, today in fact. I was looking up creativity blogs on the internet, looking for some inspiration to do, well, anything. As I was reading through them I realized that creativity blogs are no more than random thoughts and tidbits of a persons creative, spiritual, and emotional journey through time. I have decided to make this PLJ not only a personal learning journal, but also my very own Personal Learning JOURNEY, my version of a creativity blog. With that I shall let the journey begin. No, not begin, resume with the journal as my witness.

2/28/08

Play: Go Back to School

The tire swing. It was my favorite playground piece throughout not only day care, but elementary school as well. My friends and i would spend all recess, and long days in the summer on the tire swing at my elementary school. We would make up games, songs, and even skits on the tire swing, and often even had elaborate adventures. It is amazing how big children's imagination is. They have the wondrous ability to change anything and everything into an adventure. Something as simple as a tire swing, slide, or monkey bars, can open up a whole new world to their eyes. After reading the Play chapter in AWNM, i decided to do the portfolio activity of "going back to school". Pink asks the reader to go to a playground for a little while, and just simply watch the children as they play. I went to Stern Park, a park near to my house, to complete this activity. I, of course, chose a seat facing the tire swing. As i watched what i assumed to be a group of three siblings play on that tire swing, i regressed mentally to the time where i was playing on that tire swing. It seemed so simple then to come up with all of these games and ideas, in such a short period of time. If someone were to ask me today to think up a completely original game that included only my sister, and a tire swing, it would be a challenge for me to do so. If play is in fact essential to excelling in the conceptual age, then we all must get in touch with our inner child. We all have to remember back to those "tire swing moments" and pull the creativity and imagination back to the surface.

No comments:

Blog Archive