Phoebe's PLJ" began as a project for my Freshman English class when we were reading Daniel Pink's "A Whole New Mind". The purpose of the PLJ or Personal Learning Journal was to blog our thoughts on a selection of Pinks exercises throughout his book. I just recently came across this, today in fact. I was looking up creativity blogs on the internet, looking for some inspiration to do, well, anything. As I was reading through them I realized that creativity blogs are no more than random thoughts and tidbits of a persons creative, spiritual, and emotional journey through time. I have decided to make this PLJ not only a personal learning journal, but also my very own Personal Learning JOURNEY, my version of a creativity blog. With that I shall let the journey begin. No, not begin, resume with the journal as my witness.

2/2/08

Empathy: Spot the Fake Smile

I think that I've always been pretty decent at "reading" peoples emotions. Perhaps this comes from the fact that my step-father is a pschologist, and he spends alot of his time analyzing people. I could also come from the fact that my family doesnt really wear theor emotions on their sleeve. Instead we have to try to figure out whats going on by trying to look underneath facades, the find the realo problem. I have always been one of the people in my family that is both good at finding the emotions in others, and hiding my own. Becuase of this i found BBC's Spot the Fake Smile quite easy. After recieving the respectable 18 out of 20 correct guesses i went back to look at the ones i had missed.http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/smiles/movie4.shtmlthis video i had marked as a fake smile, but it is infact a genuine one.What threw me off in this video is that the womans eyes do not seem to hold any expression at all. I was judging the smiles on the peoples eyes, and since she didn't appear to have much emotion in her eyes i marked it as a fake smile.http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/smiles/movie17.shtmlThis was the other video i marked incorrectly. I had marked this smile as genuine when it is actually fake. To me the man in the video had "laughter in his eyes", but as it turned out this laughter was also fake.

No comments:

Blog Archive