Phoebe's PLJ" began as a project for my Freshman English class when we were reading Daniel Pink's "A Whole New Mind". The purpose of the PLJ or Personal Learning Journal was to blog our thoughts on a selection of Pinks exercises throughout his book. I just recently came across this, today in fact. I was looking up creativity blogs on the internet, looking for some inspiration to do, well, anything. As I was reading through them I realized that creativity blogs are no more than random thoughts and tidbits of a persons creative, spiritual, and emotional journey through time. I have decided to make this PLJ not only a personal learning journal, but also my very own Personal Learning JOURNEY, my version of a creativity blog. With that I shall let the journey begin. No, not begin, resume with the journal as my witness.

2/13/08

Learning is Changing: Arts

For me I can see the biggest change in my learning through the arts. Before this summer I wasn’t really interested in band or the arts for that matter. Although vie been in band for 4 years now (since 6th grade), vie never really done it to the intensity of this year. This past summer I decided to join the high school marching band, and I think it really has changed my life forever. At first I was very intimidated by the intensity and talent of the people around me, but it was an admiring type of fear. In middle school I had been first chair since 7th grade, and basically the best in the school. When I entered Arapahoe’s band program I realized how talented, dedicated, and amazing true musicians are, and that I really wanted to be one of them. I very quickly became a band geek, and by august I was "one of them". All of my friends were in band, and I spent more time with them than my family. They have really taught me dedication not only to the actual practice itself, but also every aspect of the program. When you really want to be a part of something, you can’t just be there for the practices, and concerts, you also have to be there for volunteer opportunities, as an audience, and most importantly to support the other people. Relationships are a huge part of education, whether it’s with your peers, your elders, or your enemies. People need other people to learn, we can’t simply teach ourselves and expect to be successful.

No comments:

Blog Archive